PSHE underpins the whole ethos of Petersgate. There is a strongly held belief that children will not achieve their full academic potential if they are not well developed personally, socially, emotionally, morally, physically and spiritually.
The PSHE curriculum aims to provide pupils with the knowledge, skills and understanding they need to lead confident, healthy and independent lives.
Children gain the knowledge, skills and understanding to:
- Develop confidence, self-esteem and responsibility.
- Prepare to play an active role as citizens.
- Develop a healthy, safer lifestyle.
- Develop good relationships and respect the differences between people.
- Develop emotional literacy.
PSHE is taught primarily through the SEAL (Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning) programme. Half termly themes are taught first by an initial assembly introducing them and then within each class appropriate to the level of the children. An end assembly helps the children to share their experiences.
Areas covered include;
- New beginnings
- Getting on and falling out
- Going for goals
- Good to be me
Circle time and philosophy help to look at other aspects and enable the children to express themselves in a safe environment.